Hacker Newsnew | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit | lukan's commentslogin

"as a big FU to the megacorps"

Where is the satisfaction in that?

If you jump from a bridge, all it does, is that relatives of yours will receive the bill for cleaning up the blood and remains (on top of funeral etc).


"unless you're targeting a career that requires, or expects, a degree."

Unfortunately most well paying jobs do.


Maybe there will be an inversion. Lots of white collar office jobs can be partially automated, or have their efficiency greatly increased by AI. But we still don't seem to be near widely deployed robots that finish drywall

There may be an inversion as white collar jobs sink, but not because drywalling is going to get better. All of my family work in trades and it's a lot harder and less stable than we office workers like fantasize, as much as I love the ending of Office Space too. It's cyclical and sometimes there's not enough work. Cost of materials is volatile and can eat into your income. And it's skilled. Programmers tend to think everything else is easy and if you can teach yourself React then electrical should be a no-brainer. That's to say nothing of start-up costs. It was incredible that we coders could bootstrap six-figure careers with a $4000 MacBook Pro. Trades workers need a truck, you need power tools, if you're not loosey-goosey then you need insurance. All of that costs a lot.

That's for anyone joining the trade. Out-of-work middle-aged programmers with soft keyboard hands and little or no experience hanging dry wall? Why pay them any more than the 24 year old guy. AI may automate us out of our desk jobs, but the downward pressure of us transitioning to trade jobs, even at the bottom level, will only make those jobs less lucrative.


You think the drywall company is going to hire you? Why would they hire someone in middle age with no experience when there are no shortage of 20 year olds who already know the trade?

Also, illegal immigrants, who are actually the people who do most of the drywall.

Do you like working with dry walls? I don't. I can do it, but I ain't born for handywork.

"If I pretend to be angry that it didn’t search the web it would however do it."

You have to pretend to be angry in such situations?


Have you tried fable? (I did small experiements and was satisfied, but maybe there are reasons to switch?)

No, because I always hit my Fable quota (Max 20x) in 12 hours on simpler tasks, and I'd hate to need to buy tokens at API pricing.

I want to get rid of whatsapp. Well, since years, but now the need increased.

On android it is possible to give permissions "once" "while using the app" "always".

But whatsapp now only accepts the full camera access. If you set "ask every time" to indeed only make a picture once and then no camera access anymore, it refuses and sends you to the permission dialoge.


So they aren't even pretending to not say "screw you and your privacy". Glad I don't have need, increasing or otherwise, to use Whatsapp.

Yeah, there even is this old archaic rule from the bible/torah/quran, "eye for an eye" that is usually considered barbaric and outdated. But here they go by 35:1 ratio.

Targeting military - yes, under certain conditions.

Targeting civilian homes and a festival - nothing legitimate about that.


It depends who you invite. I organized a lot of parties in my youth with some that escalated and that burned me a bit. Now I am very reluctant to organize something and have not done so in a while, but when I do and it works, it is amazing. Helping bringing people together. Connecting, having a good time and people feel grateful for it.

Now with the great late summer, it would be a great time for something like this again, but I just did not felt the energy, but also am a bit sad now to not just make something happen.


> It depends who you invite.

True. If I invite nobody it about matches the night in.


" If we compare it with pelicans that are still not-perfect…"

Fable 5.1 was pretty good. Even animating it:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=49526704


"The ThreeJS dude posted ab how demotivated he was to continue his work"

Mrdoob? If so, can you show a link?



That's really sad.

Guidelines | FAQ | Lists | API | Security | Legal | Apply to YC | Contact