I agree 100%. I've had a couple of basic Kindles (only buying the 2nd when the 1st one died), but even a Kindle takes a bit of forward thinking for EDC. The Xteink, on the other hand, fits in almost any pocket (apart fron the small one above my jeans front right pocket - you know the one). Since buying the Xteink in January, I've re-read the 6-book Dune sequence, plus about 20 other Frank Herbert stories (of varying quality, I must admit). I'm about to move onto Isaac Asimov's Foundation sequence, which i haven't read in about 20 years. Iain M Banks' culture novels will come after that. I still use my Kindle at home, sometimes, but the Xteink goes everywhere with me, and fills several gaps every day. It does just what I need, and no more. Jo
I've been an avid sci-fi reader for most of my life, and bought my first Kindle over a decade ago. I saw an online review of the Xteink X4 a couple of weeks ago, and decided it was worth a punt.
It's slightly larger than I expected - half the size of my kindle - but it would still fit on the back of my Samsung phone. Setup was easy, as I downloaded the English pdf guide.
I have a pair of DVDs with around 32k sci-fi books in pdf form, which i convert to mobi format via Calibre for the Kindle (sidestepping the Amazon store), and now to epub format for the Xteink.
Frankly, I love it. It fits in any pocket, and it let's me read anytime, anywhere. Like my Kindle, it is a basic e-reader and nothing else, so the screen is glare-free, easy on the eye, and I dont get distracted by popups and links. I set the display to landscape, which gives 9-10 words per line.
Personally, I dont like reading books on my phone screen, hence my fondness for Kindle and now Xteink. Each to his or her own, as they say.
I've only added 4 authors so far (50 or so books) and read 2, but the basic navigation and logic is now second nature.
Definitely worth the punt, and while I will still use the Kindle at home or on holiday, the Xteink is now my EDC reader.
My Posts(2)
I read a year's worth of books in a month, thanks to this gadget
I agree 100%. I've had a couple of basic Kindles (only buying the 2nd when the 1st one died), but even a Kindle takes a bit of forward thinking for EDC. The Xteink, on the other hand, fits in almost any pocket (apart fron the small one above my jeans front right pocket - you know the one). Since buying the Xteink in January, I've re-read the 6-book Dune sequence, plus about 20 other Frank Herbert stories (of varying quality, I must admit). I'm about to move onto Isaac Asimov's Foundation sequence, which i haven't read in about 20 years. Iain M Banks' culture novels will come after that. I still use my Kindle at home, sometimes, but the Xteink goes everywhere with me, and fills several gaps every day. It does just what I need, and no more. Jo
I tried this miniature e-reader that attaches to my phone, and it's surprisingly good
I've been an avid sci-fi reader for most of my life, and bought my first Kindle over a decade ago. I saw an online review of the Xteink X4 a couple of weeks ago, and decided it was worth a punt.
It's slightly larger than I expected - half the size of my kindle - but it would still fit on the back of my Samsung phone. Setup was easy, as I downloaded the English pdf guide.
I have a pair of DVDs with around 32k sci-fi books in pdf form, which i convert to mobi format via Calibre for the Kindle (sidestepping the Amazon store), and now to epub format for the Xteink.
Frankly, I love it. It fits in any pocket, and it let's me read anytime, anywhere. Like my Kindle, it is a basic e-reader and nothing else, so the screen is glare-free, easy on the eye, and I dont get distracted by popups and links. I set the display to landscape, which gives 9-10 words per line.
Personally, I dont like reading books on my phone screen, hence my fondness for Kindle and now Xteink. Each to his or her own, as they say.
I've only added 4 authors so far (50 or so books) and read 2, but the basic navigation and logic is now second nature.
Definitely worth the punt, and while I will still use the Kindle at home or on holiday, the Xteink is now my EDC reader.