Definitely, although Apple is going a bit beyond Samsung's features with the nano-texture display (it's even more anti-reflective) and other small touches. Also: how is it that Apple's first foldable has an IP68 rating where Samsung is still stuck on IP48?
Foldables do have that long-term asterisk, but that amounts to at least 5.5 years for the Z Fold 8 based on 100 folds per day (more if you're not so enthusiastic). You'll probably replace the phone before you hit the rating.
Durability is the real gotcha. Apple is apparently confident enough to include pen input, so that's great, but I wouldn't go on a trek to the Sahara even if the body is technically dust-tight.
I was tempted to put the Jolla Phone in, but the "buy and use now" part is the obstacle. It's sold in small batches and isn't readily available to U.S. buyers.
I used Sailfish in its early days and appreciate Jolla's design, so there might be an opportunity down the line.
It's a low-power (around 20W) system with a tapered bottom to let heat escape. After trying it, I'd be comfortable using it on a carpet on occasion. I just wouldn't make a habit of it.
KEVIN The short answer: because phones like the S22 are reaching the end of support and, in many cases, are already out of warranty. It's an option for enthusiasts who have little to lose and a lot to gain.
I understand, hence the disclaimer: if the thought of bricking your phone is unsettling, it's perfectly fine to either keep your phone as-is or upgrade. You do have to worry about a lack of security updates, but not right away.
This is for those people who are comfortable using unofficial ROMs to extend their phone's software lifespan. And it's less necessary with more recent phones that have seven years of promised OS updates.
Apple won't do that, however. It's a hardware company, and macOS helps the Mac stand out.. Supporting third-party computers means developing lowest-common-denominator features and having to account for a much wider range of compatibility headaches.
Don't forget, Apple tried to open macOS to third parties in the mid-1990s and it nearly killed the company. It doesn't want to risk that again, and certainly doesn't have to as a much more successful brand circa 2026.
It seems like Ford at least understands this. The Fathom is the gateway that could lead people to buy more expensive EVs as they arrive. Or at least, tick a lot of checkboxes on the option sheet.
The Ryzen AI Max does have unified memory and reasonably strong computing power, although it's not an absolute powerhouse — it's like combining a Ryzen 9 9950X with RTX 4060 graphics. Apple can do better in its higher-spec processors (the Max/Ultra chips in particular), but if you're on the Windows or Linux side it's the best unified RAM option right now.
If you're comparing the standard (i.e. non-Pro or non-Ultra) models, the Pixel 11 could be the best for still photos. Performance-wise I'd give the iPhone 17 the nod (and of course, the Apple ecosystem is deep). The S26 is a good Swiss Army Knife that's not the best at anything, but should be faster than the Pixel and have more camera versatility than the iPhone.
I hear you. It's true in that IBM did make a sub-1nm chip, hence the headline — but it's also a proof of concept. I'll make it clearer the next time something like this comes up.
That's why I appreciate efforts to backport features like FSR 4.1. You won't feel as much pressure to upgrade, which could actually help AMD by making you happy to buy another Radeon when it's finally time.
It's accurate — these days you can issue NHTSA recalls that don't involve physically returning the vehicle. Tesla has issued a number of recalls that only involved over-the-air software patches, for instance.
My Posts(32)
Motorola is finally bringing a true flagship back to the US to take on Apple and Samsung
Motorola Mobility is owned by Lenovo, so it is a Chinese brand of sorts!
I used the Boox Picco, the new pocket eReader to beat
Pardon the late reply — this was a prototype at IFA, so I couldn't check the processor. We'll learn more at launch.
Samsung, watch out—the iPhone Duo just showed how foldable phones are done
And that's absolutely fair. It's a very slick platform, but if you want to encourage variety, Android is where you go.
Samsung, watch out—the iPhone Duo just showed how foldable phones are done
Definitely, although Apple is going a bit beyond Samsung's features with the nano-texture display (it's even more anti-reflective) and other small touches. Also: how is it that Apple's first foldable has an IP68 rating where Samsung is still stuck on IP48?
Foldables do have that long-term asterisk, but that amounts to at least 5.5 years for the Z Fold 8 based on 100 folds per day (more if you're not so enthusiastic). You'll probably replace the phone before you hit the rating.
Durability is the real gotcha. Apple is apparently confident enough to include pen input, so that's great, but I wouldn't go on a trek to the Sahara even if the body is technically dust-tight.
3 Linux phones you can actually buy and use right now (and why you probably shouldn't)
It is, but it's not a distro in the classic sense. Certainly not when the most common version has some proprietary code and apps.
3 Linux phones you can actually buy and use right now (and why you probably shouldn't)
I was tempted to put the Jolla Phone in, but the "buy and use now" part is the obstacle. It's sold in small batches and isn't readily available to U.S. buyers.
I used Sailfish in its early days and appreciate Jolla's design, so there might be an opportunity down the line.
The 14S is Dell's next answer to the MacBook Neo—and it should be more affordable, too
It's a low-power (around 20W) system with a tapered bottom to let heat escape. After trying it, I'd be comfortable using it on a carpet on occasion. I just wouldn't make a habit of it.
The Galaxy S22 will soon stop getting updates, but LineageOS has a fix
KEVIN The short answer: because phones like the S22 are reaching the end of support and, in many cases, are already out of warranty. It's an option for enthusiasts who have little to lose and a lot to gain.
The Galaxy S22 will soon stop getting updates, but LineageOS has a fix
I understand, hence the disclaimer: if the thought of bricking your phone is unsettling, it's perfectly fine to either keep your phone as-is or upgrade. You do have to worry about a lack of security updates, but not right away.
This is for those people who are comfortable using unofficial ROMs to extend their phone's software lifespan. And it's less necessary with more recent phones that have seven years of promised OS updates.
Windows is losing an entire generation of PC users to Linux, Apple, and Google
Apple won't do that, however. It's a hardware company, and macOS helps the Mac stand out.. Supporting third-party computers means developing lowest-common-denominator features and having to account for a much wider range of compatibility headaches.
Don't forget, Apple tried to open macOS to third parties in the mid-1990s and it nearly killed the company. It doesn't want to risk that again, and certainly doesn't have to as a much more successful brand circa 2026.
Ford Fathom EV pickup truck starts production after March—in a revamped factory
It seems like Ford at least understands this. The Fathom is the gateway that could lead people to buy more expensive EVs as they arrive. Or at least, tick a lot of checkboxes on the option sheet.
PC sales plunged for the first time in two years—except for one company
The Ryzen AI Max does have unified memory and reasonably strong computing power, although it's not an absolute powerhouse — it's like combining a Ryzen 9 9950X with RTX 4060 graphics. Apple can do better in its higher-spec processors (the Max/Ultra chips in particular), but if you're on the Windows or Linux side it's the best unified RAM option right now.
What to expect when the Pixel 11 is unveiled on August 12th
If you're comparing the standard (i.e. non-Pro or non-Ultra) models, the Pixel 11 could be the best for still photos. Performance-wise I'd give the iPhone 17 the nod (and of course, the Apple ecosystem is deep). The S26 is a good Swiss Army Knife that's not the best at anything, but should be faster than the Pixel and have more camera versatility than the iPhone.
I'm done waiting for Google Pixel to catch up—Samsung Galaxy is better where it matters
I own Pixels as well. I enjoy both, but if you made me settle on one brand I'd have to go with Samsung for now.
IBM just made the world's first sub-1nm chip—what does it mean for PCs and phones?
I hear you. It's true in that IBM did make a sub-1nm chip, hence the headline — but it's also a proof of concept. I'll make it clearer the next time something like this comes up.
AMD FSR 4.1 just made your older Radeon GPU worth keeping
That's why I appreciate efforts to backport features like FSR 4.1. You won't feel as much pressure to upgrade, which could actually help AMD by making you happy to buy another Radeon when it's finally time.
Google Fi is the best carrier I’m not allowed to use
That's fair — it's just a question of what you're comfortable with.
Waymo recalls over 3,800 robotaxis after some drove into freeway construction zones
It's accurate — these days you can issue NHTSA recalls that don't involve physically returning the vehicle. Tesla has issued a number of recalls that only involved over-the-air software patches, for instance.
Fox buys Roku—what does this mean for your streaming services?
The choice of related article acknowledges the elephant; don't worry, we know!
Fox buys Roku—what does this mean for your streaming services?
Tubi and The Roku Channel are still expected to remain free-to-watch; it's just that Fox might promote its services more.