Fifth unvaccinated person dies of measles; CDC still not counting all deaths

NC Now

Ars Scholae Palatinae
1,200
Subscriptor++
People watched people die of Covid five years ago and that made them more anti-vax, not less.
Actually for many, that wasn't why they became more anti-vac. It was more of the to get out of the cult (of anything) you first have to admit you are/were wrong. And for most people that is a big ask of most people. To admit they were utterly wrong. So they compartmentalize, deny, talk about fake data, refuse to believe facts in their face, whatever to avoid admitting they were wrong. They become like a dangerous animal backed into a corner and will do anything to survive with their beliefs intact.

Why do I think this way? Some very close relatives and people I once thought of as friends.
 
Upvote
6 (6 / 0)

NC Now

Ars Scholae Palatinae
1,200
Subscriptor++
Many people thought that the Internet would usher in a new age of information and knowledge. Instead, social media came along and reinforced every crackpot idea your crazy uncle has.
News groups must have been the first social media then. There were many whacko ones back in the day.
 
Upvote
3 (3 / 0)

perrosdelaguerra

Ars Scholae Palatinae
946
Subscriptor
At least two of those deaths were in infants too young to be vaccinated. This is one of the reasons community-wide (herd) immunity is important: we protect the people who can't be vaccinated by keeping the virus away from them.
What does this have to do with anything I wrote?
 
Upvote
-1 (0 / -1)

NC Now

Ars Scholae Palatinae
1,200
Subscriptor++
In the 90s my grandmother was still alive and could tell stories about training as a nurse and having to watch babies cough themselves to death from pertussis.
Born in 1954. I got to have chickpox, mumps (twice!!), measles, shingles (at 13!!!), and more. It totally sucked. My younger brother had the big three at the same time as me but as a pre-school kid. And no real memory. Now he is the anti-vac leader of the pack.

EDIT: Also I remember going to a Kroger's on a Sunday after church (it was closed way back then) and taking the sugar cube with the Polio vaccine in it. And there was a LINE. Which is about all I remember.
 
Upvote
9 (9 / 0)
In the 90s my grandmother was still alive and could tell stories about training as a nurse and having to watch babies cough themselves to death from pertussis.
I've had pertussis as an adult and I have absolutely no idea how any babies at all could survive. It's brutal.



(I'm allergic to tetanus vaccine for some reason, so no TDaP for me. And I really wish I could.)
 
Upvote
4 (4 / 0)

Faceless Man

Ars Legatus Legionis
11,834
Subscriptor++
I've had pertussis as an adult and I have absolutely no idea how any babies at all could survive. It's brutal.



(I'm allergic to tetanus vaccine for some reason, so no TDaP for me. And I really wish I could.)
I've been lucky, although I've known a couple of adults who have had Pertussis.

I have, however, seen footage from a pertussis (or whooping cough as it was called at the time) ward with babies blue in the face and constantly coughing. I think anti-vaxxers should have to spend some time in such a ward.
 
Upvote
3 (3 / 0)

alxx

Ars Praefectus
5,111
Subscriptor++
I'm going to get a lot of hate mail for this but - if you come to a health care facility (hospital, MD etc. ) with a disease for which there is a readily available vaccine then health insurance companies should not be required to pay for your stupidity. This does NOT include babies that are too young to get vaccinated OR the people in the Tampa area who can't get the dengue fever vaccine because it's not available in the US (yet).

In other words, if it's available and you don't use it then suffer the consequences.
I strongly agree and would take it further especially for smokers and vapers
 
Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

nivedita

Ars Tribunus Militum
2,277
Subscriptor
There are no vaccines for children at the age these ones died.

If you can show me evidence that parents of kids born in the 60s and 70s had a solid foundation in medicine and molecular biology that millennial parents don't have, I will accept that, but I kind of doubt it is true.
False dichotomy. Believing in science and trusting medical experts is neither having a foundation in medicine or molecular biology, nor is it “obedience to authority figures”. Trusting the consensus of experts about their field of expertise is a smart decision. (Yes, you might turn out to have been wrong in some cases, but the decision when made was still smart)
People watched people die of Covid five years ago and that made them more anti-vax, not less.
If people in the 60s watched people getting crippled from polio and that made them want vaccines, while people of the ‘20s watched people dying from covid and that made them antivax, isn’t that direct evidence that the ‘20s people are dumber?
 
Upvote
3 (4 / -1)

alxx

Ars Praefectus
5,111
Subscriptor++
If people in the 60s watched people getting crippled from polio and that made them want vaccines, while people of the ‘20s watched people dying from covid and that made them antivax, isn’t that direct evidence that the ‘20s people are dumber?
I'd say not necessarily dumber but lack of critical thinking.
 
Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

dwl-sdca

Ars Scholae Palatinae
965
Subscriptor++
The other poster's comment should be upvoted, because that is how medical authority on vaccines used to work for most people, until it switched to "I saw something get reposted on Facebook about this by my friend from church."

If herd immunity is the important thing here, then people should drop the Darwinian let-the-dumb-ones die theory that I was responding to, because you're not providing the supports parents need to keep a child in isolation from an airborne illness for a year. It's been suggested to me that I should be prosecuted for not vaccinating my 6-week-old, and frankly, I'd rather not go to jail.

Edited.
I grew up in rural Louisiana in the 1950s. At the time there was no measles vaccine (nor mumps or German measles). By the early to mid 1960s, vaccines became available but there was little motivation in parents to vaccinate their children. These diseases were considered part of life. Polio was considered differently — beginning about 1956, nurses from parish / county health units literally went door-to-door on vaccination campaigns). I was 12 when the first measles vaccine became available and (even though my parents were essentially hypochondriacs and brought my siblings and me to the pediatrician twice a year for “check-ups” they were not particularly motivated to follow the doctor’s advice that I be vaccinated. I remember one doctor visit because I didn’t need to get the shot. By my next visit, Louisiana government began insisting that all schoolchildren be vaccinated. I had my jab at the school. Louisiana began a competition with Mississippi to have the higher prevalence of childhood vaccination. About this time the regional Monsignor somehow convinced the bishops in the state to require vaccination to enter the Catholic school system.

There were a few adults who didn’t trust government and expressed belief that vaccination was a Communist or Yankee plot. There was no real attempt to counter this foolishness and state governments simply mandated vaccinations for everyone unless they had very specific health conditions. For the next several years, Louisiana developed a 1st grade measles vaccination prevalence in the low 90 percents. There were news stories about Mississippi achieving 96-97%. With a change of governor, Louisiana had less interest in childhood vaccinations. Mississippi into the 1990s had the nation’s highest prevalence of MMR vaccination among school children.

So, at least where I grew up, government mandates were the primary reason for parents to have their children vaccinated. There was some motivation from the state-to-state competition.

This is my anecdotal evidence to support Nicole’s assertion that following authority was a major motivating factor in childhood vaccinations.
 
Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

graylshaped

Ars Legatus Legionis
71,344
Subscriptor++
"Two fucks"? That is literally two fucks more than they give. They don't give a fuck about unborn people either. They claim to, but that is a bait and switch. They only care about absolute control of the "living incubator".
One when the baby is made, the second when they say "fuck human decency" ?
 
Upvote
1 (1 / 0)