Skip to Content
  • 0

    posted a message on Vestige Warlock
    Quote from wagnarokkr >>
    Quote from PsyrenXY >>
    Quote from a1ndrozz >>

    It's probably the strongest Warlock I've had at my table, that pet is incredible (and has been from level 3 until 7 so far). Does the new level 10 feature kinda suck? Yes, and I aim to buff it a bit if the party makes it that far (though probably not quite as far as the UA).

    It saves you a minute of downtime if the vestige would otherwise die. How valuable that is depends on the time pressure and combat density of your campaign, but in general I would view it as a nice to have feature rather than a material power increase.

    That was an AI spam bot, I'd take anything it says with a healthy portion of salt.

     Noted, though it doesn't change my answer 🙂 maybe it'll be helpful to someone else.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 0

    posted a message on Vestige Warlock
    Quote from a1ndrozz >>

    It's probably the strongest Warlock I've had at my table, that pet is incredible (and has been from level 3 until 7 so far). Does the new level 10 feature kinda suck? Yes, and I aim to buff it a bit if the party makes it that far (though probably not quite as far as the UA).

    It saves you a minute of downtime if the vestige would otherwise die. How valuable that is depends on the time pressure and combat density of your campaign, but in general I would view it as a nice to have feature rather than a material power increase.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 3

    posted a message on What do you all think of Arcana Unleased?

    I love it. The only thing I was really looking forward to were the subclasses, but the backgrounds and feats exceeded my expectations, especially the X Adept and all the Familiar stuff.

    Speaking of which, the standout spell for me was Battle Familiar, but there's a number of other goodies in that space too, especially the new druid summons.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 2

    posted a message on Am I Blind? (Or perhaps Exhausted) - Is there no Exhaustion Table in the 2024 Digital Player's Handbook?

    You can create a table from those rules if you really want one. Something like this:

    Exhaustion Level

    D20 Tests Penalty

    Speed Penalty

    1

    -2

    -5

    2

    -4

    -10

    3

    -6

    -15

    4

    -8

    -20

    5

    -10

    -25

    6

    N/A - Dead

    N/A - Dead

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 1

    posted a message on Arcane Burst?
    Quote from Natrel >>

    At level 6, your party encountering a single mage should not result in a player going down every single round.

     Do your players not wear armor? Also, are all your battlefields featureless white rooms?

    ETA:

    Quote from PPSS2022 >>

    With Arcana Unleashed out, it got me thinking. I've always found it interesting with the juxtaposition between PC and NPC spellcasters in 5.5e. For those of you who don't know:

    While PC's have spell lists and spell slots, NPC's only have limited asymmetric spell uses. This I totally get, spell slots can be a micromanaging nightmare for a DM which is running the rest of the game. However, they also all have a massive blaster ability called Arcane Burst. Multiple attacks in one round of high force damage, at melee or ranged. This I sort of get, as a monster needs a consistent damage output.


    However, this does make me confused. Players cannot do this AT ALL. Cantrips don't even come close to the damage level of this, and the closest thing you can get is a Warlock with all the eldritch blast invocations. But even that is far below the damage par of this. I know PCs and NPCs have different rules for a reason, but this just seems so much more different than, for instance, marital PC's vs NPCs So, what do y'all think of this? Does it make sense or no?

     Your poll is lacking clarity. Yes, Arcane Burst is a good feature for the DM, as it allows caster monsters to more consistently/precisely hit their listed CR/difficulty. It's also good for players, because being a spell attack, it comes with built in counterplay via features like armor class, resistance, temp HP, cover, obscurement, and other reactive defenses like Shield. So yes, as a DM I would use it, but no, as a player I wouldn't (because I can't.)

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 3

    posted a message on New underdark UA
    Quote from Kaboom979 >>

    Not sure how I feel about the Freedom Domain Cleric. It just kinda feels like Freedom of Movement the subclass. Id definitely like it more if Invoke Liberty allowed the Cleric to end Possession affecting allies (either at level 3 or at level 9), as exorcising controlling spirits seems on theme for this subclass and Clerics in general. Overall, it feels like this subclass is mechanically designed around increased movement, but is themed to fight against evils of things like starvation, poverty, tyranny, etc. which doesnt quite mesh.

    I love the idea of an unarmored cleric. Everything else though...

    Quote from CunningSmile >>

    What I’m finding surprising about this UA and the other recent ones of how meh most of them have been. Perkins and Crawford used to say about how UA was the hit for the fences and then you dialled it back based on feedback whilst the current crew seem to be doing it in the other direction, giving us the bare minimum and seeing who complains. I’m not sure if that’s a better or worse way to create an end product but it certainly does little to get my excitement going 

     There've been great UA before this one though. The final draft UA for Arcana Unleashed ended up pretty close to what we got in the book and with only a couple of exceptions (looking at you, Enchanter capstone, and thank Mystra that "Magic Stealer Rogue" never saw print) was a home run of a book. I'm hopeful that this Underdark one will do far better in v2 than this initial pass would indicate.

    Quote from Frachese>>

    Sure, but I believe the people who care about UA are a fairly small minority of the D&D playerbase.

     Of course - but like, I'm still grateful? Most of the v1 UA have been way worse than the finished product, and we have ourselves to thank for that. Just think how horrible it would have been if we didn't review bomb their first draft of the 2024 Monk.

    Sure the community doesn't always get it right (*sighs towards Moon Druid templates getting scrapped*) but overall I think the process does more good than not. And clearly they think so too or they wouldn't keep doing it, it's not like they're contractually obligated to keep running the program.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 1

    posted a message on New underdark UA

    Other than the species, which look genuinely interesting, whatever book this Underdark stuff is going to end up in so far looks pretty mid, the SCAG of 5.5e.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 0

    posted a message on Tasha's and Xanathar's subclasses in 5.5e
    Quote from LemonPaws2319 >>

     Brother, I don't know that Tasha's intentionally depowering the mechanics of Alchemist is her choice. She's definitely not wasted her potential, she did write the big bad book.

     I suppose LARPing the devs as doing the bidding of a spiteful witch is as fine a gimmick as any.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 1

    posted a message on Would it be fun adapting aliens into D&D?

    I thought the OP meant xenomorphs (the Geiger kind) and was coming to say that those exist in D&D too - in prior editions they were called Kythons.

    Grays are a bit of a taller order - D&D has a few species that come close to their design, like Asherati and Dromites. (If there's a closer one I can't recall it off the top of my head.) Pathfinder just skipped the middle man and put Grays into their Bestiary.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 6

    posted a message on An Observation: Shadow of the Dragon Queen
    Quote from Sevourne >>

     This was awesomely said.

    Quote from BryonQuester>>

    However, the drow have remained matriarchal. 

    Without reawakening the entire debate, I just wanted to hone in on this bit and point out a noteworthy fact - it's Lolthite / Menzoberranzan Drow that are matriarchal. And they aren't even the only Drow society in the Forgotten Realms, much less the multiverse at large. That kind of nuance is important when extrapolating from a single society to an entire species, or when making conclusions about what changes have and haven't been made to the lore as a whole.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 5

    posted a message on Seriously? Universes beyond?
    Quote from jl8e >>

    I'm fairly sure that the point is not to sell this stuff to D&D players -- unless the UB books sell wildly better than any "normal" setting book, they wouldn't be worth it to WotC, given the extra hassle, licensing fees, etc.

    They exist to get WoW/Star Wars/etc. fans to buy D&D. Their success will be primarily measured on that level.

    And plenty of us - me included - are fans of both. And yes, while bringing newcomers to D&D is an admirable goal for any product, there are in fact others. For example, maybe working in these IP will provide creative juice/energy to the devs that the standard D&D settings haven't in a while, or just new perspective. Maybe they have a sizeable contingent of current customers who don't purchase everything they put out, but for whom UB will prove to be more enticing than yet another FR book. Maybe the added marketing reach (Blizzcon is this weekend) makes it easier to justify the dev time they'll spend on things like revisiting 5.0 subclasses such as Swashbuckler via this book. The point is that these sorts of arrangements are never just about one singular benefit.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 3

    posted a message on Tasha's and Xanathar's subclasses in 5.5e

    The only one that is outright broken currently (as in, does not function in 5.5e as written) is Shepherd Druid, because the spells it's designed to work with have been drastically changed in the update.

    All the rest will work fine; their performance will vary as all subclasses do, so you'll have to be specific about which ones you're considering to get more specific guidance.

    Hold up I specifically meant power-wise, not that I'm intending to min-max, but I don't want to stumble into an underpowered build. And I'd heard about circle of Shepherd Druid being a little borked due to conjuration. I just mostly wanna know if they'd still be satisfying to play imposed into the 2024 rules.

     "Satisfying to play" depends heavily on what you find satisfying, but if you want to share which ones you're looking at and maybe a bit about what you typically like we can help you get a meaningful answer.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 3

    posted a message on Seriously? Universes beyond?
    Quote from Xalthu >>

    I’d argue books like Fizban’s and Bigby’s, that deck of many things book, in an weird way, planescape and maybe a couple others are setting agnostic. I guess they assume a meta-setting, but they’re meant to be played anywhere in the multiverse. There’s a lot more than 2 out there.

     I agree with you on this, but it actually supports the point that there's nothing to be concerned about here. Setting-agnostic/multiversal books are clearly still a priority for them, with them continuing to make those right up until the tail end of 5.0 with BoMT.

    Quote from Xalthu >>

    But anyway, the issue here is different. In the swashbuckler example, they took something that was setting specific, and then opened it up to be setting agnostic. Now they are doing the reverse; something that is setting agnostic today will soon have an updated version locked behind a setting. It’s moving in the opposite direction. Something that had been universally available will now be tucked into a corner I’m not otherwise interested in visiting. It’s probably why you don’t hear a lot of folks complaining about the new subclasses they’re adding with the WoW book, just the ones they are updating. (At least I don’t, but as I said, I don’t watch streamers, so maybe they are.)

    That's still consistent with the overall trend though:

    • 5.0: Print subclass in setting book, reprint in setting agnostic book.
    • 5.5: Print subclass in setting book, reprint in setting agnostic book.

    And even if the WoW book is the only time we ever even see the word "Swashbuckler" for the rest of 5.5 - if you want to play one so badly, is it that hard for your group to pick up that book and file off the serial numbers? It's not like a Swashbuckler is some inalienable concept to Azeroth that you need a ton of guidance to envision anywhere else; it's a pirate rogue, a fantasy concept right up there with "woodsman ranger" in terms of its ubiquity.

    In short, I'll believe the sky is falling when it actually... falls.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 1

    posted a message on Seriously? Universes beyond?
    Quote from bthec18 >>

    Here’s my question about the WoW setting, how many people are going to name a character Le’Roy Jen’Kans?

    Don't forget Harrison Jones and Johnny Awesome 😁

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • 3

    posted a message on Thoughts on the Warlock game trailer?
    Quote from CunningSmile >>

    And I doubt FR would have become the de facto default if it wasn’t such a kitchen sink setting. Makes it so much easier to just heap stuff on it than a setting with a more defined personality 

     The term I'd use for those other settings is "narrower." FR actually has plenty of definition - it's just linked to regions, much like Golarion (another kitchen sink). You want vanilla heroic fantasy, Sword Coast or Cormyr. You want political intrigue, Waterdeep or Amn. You want wilderness exploration and survival, head to Chult or the Anauroch or Icewind Dale. You want dark fantasy / horror, go to Thay or the Moonshaes. And so on.

    Posted in: General Discussion
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.